The position of Objective C in a group of objective languages. Differences, similarities, history .....
Every language can be change to a object-oriented language. For example Pascal, Assembler, and many other were enriched in object-oriented characteristic. But only few object-oriented languages brought some new idea.
If you add new keyword like
object and same other ones to a classic programing language, it does not mean that you created a new object-oriented language. But this is a history of C++ !!!.
In a realy diferent way was develop Objectiv C. His father (Stepstone) wanted to create a good object-oriented language, not only improve C.
Most of us know C++ very well. It can be usefull to compare Objective C with C++
- C++ is improve C, Objective C is a new language. But by the way Objectiv C include C
- Objective C is full compatible with ANSI C. (C is a subset of Objective C) C++ is not !
- Objective C sends message
[myWindow redraw menu] it's like a normal language
- C++ calls method
- Objective C is more dynamic (dynamic binding, dynamic typing)
- Objective C is more near to Smalltalk, C++ to Simula
What Objective C has not and C++ has
- There is no multiple inheritance (of course some see this as a benefit)
- There are no class varable